Chemistry is a discipline within science dealing with the composition and structure of chemical reactions of the property of matter. Chemistry is such an important field of study that ancient Egyptians were using wet chemistry over 4,000 years ago. Chemistry is taught as early as middle school up to college level. The method of teaching varies due to the level of education one has. Teachers must use different techniques and resources to keep students interested and involved. Updating resources brings fresh ideas to the classroom and strengthens the class’s knowledge as a whole.
History of Chemistry
- History of Chemistry: Chronological history of chemistry from prehistoric times to the present.
- Scientist and Experiments: A history of experiments and scientists that helped form chemistry.
- The Story of Chemistry: The Chemical Heritage Foundation adds an interesting spin on the history of chemistry.
Courses and Curriculum Material
- Chemical Education: Berkeley University focuses on encouraging learning and the instruction of chemistry.
- Chemistry 12: Lots of materials for teaching high school chemistry.
- Science Curriculum: A Chemistry lesson for 6th -8th graders promoting the discovery of cohesion, adhesion and surface tension.
Demonstrations and Experiments
- Home Experiments: Fun experiments than can be done at home.
- Matter and Mixtures: Watch a beaker filled with clear liquid change colors with just a shake.
- Lab Experiment: Detailed instructions on performing an experiment on preparation, construction of a high temperature superconductor.
- Acid Base Chemistry: Instructions for an Acid Based experiment.
Graphics and Visualizations
- Chemical Reaction and Molecules: Diagrams of molecules and the chemical reaction to molecules.
- Three Dimensional Visualization: Three-dimensional graphics of atomic and molecular orbital’s.
- Biochemistry: Images of adipose tissue.
- Periodic Table of Comic Books: Nothing dull about this periodic table. Just click on an element and see a comic book page relevant to that element.
- Periodic Table: A basic periodic table with clickable descriptions for each element.
- Periodic Table of Elements: A periodic table resource for students.
Safety and Environment
- School Safety: The 2006 guide for lab safety for chemistry classes.
- General Safety: Instructions for safety of chemistry lab sessions.
- Introduction to Lab Safety: The American Chemical Society’s guide to the introduction to safety for chemistry students.
Textbooks and Publishers
- Chem1: A virtual textbook for general Chemistry.
- Organic Chemistry: Organic chemistry virtual textbooks in alphabetical order.
- Publishers: A list of chemistry textbook publishers with contact information.
- General Chemistry: General chemistry terms defined.
- Atmospheric: Glossary of Atmospheric chemistry terms.
Newsgroups and Mailing Lists
- Mail Lists: A list of 44 different disciplines of chemistry mailing lists.
- Crystallography Journals: View popular articles of this online journal.
- The Journal of Organic Chemistry: View current issues and those that published online before print.
Curiosities Related to Chemistry
- Curiosities of Antimatter: A Research project exploring the curiosities of antimatter.