Some people think that the difference between a good student and a bad student is just a matter of aptitude. While it may be true in some cases, generally, the difference can actually be attributed to learning strategies. With effective learning strategies, students can learn faster and easier. Here are some of the most basic strategies.
Organization is a very important part of learning effectively. Having an orderly space to study helps the mind absorb new information without distraction. Time management also plays an important role. Everybody has only 24 hours in a day, so it’s important to learn how to make the most out of the available time.
- Education Tips: A list of links with information on organization.
- Organization Strategies: Provides information on organization and its importance.
- Organization: Discusses the importance of organization and different ways to become organized.
- Time Management Suggestions: A list of suggestions about managing time.
- Time Management Tips: Good tips to help students manage their time.
- Studying for Exams: Discusses how to study for a test.
- Exams and Studying: Points out the best ways to study for tests.
- Test Taking Tips: Shows the best ways to prepare for and take a test.
- Test Tip List: Lists the best ways to take a test.
Effective Independent Learning
There’s more to learning than knowing how to take tests. Everyone learns differently so there are many different styles of learning. If you know which style suits you best, learning will be easier. Knowing how to study properly and memorize the important things readily also make studying easier.
- Learning Style Guide: Discusses the different types of learning.
- About Learning Styles: Shows the different learning styles and explains how to determine what type of learning style best suits a person.
- Meta-Cognition: An Overview: Discusses mega-cognition in detail.
- Meta-Cognition: A tutorial explaining meta-cognition and its importance to learning.
- Study Smarter Not Harder: Discusses how to study better so you’re studying smarter, not necessarily more.
- Memorization Techniques: Outlines some of the best ways to memorize things easily.
- Memory Tips & Memorization Techniques: Some articles on how to improve one’s memory and how to memorize things easily.
- Reading Strategies: Some tutorials on techniques like highlighting text and other effective reading strategies.
- Effective Reading Strategy Checklist: Provides a list of things to help boost reading comprehension.
Effective Learning from Others
Sometimes, learning on your own isn’t as effective as learning as part of a group. There’s a lot of evidence pointing towards collaborative learning being more effective than learning on one’s own. Even lectures can help someone learn as long as they know how to listen effectively. In fact, actively listening to lectures can boost one’s own efforts to learn.
- Collaborative Learning: Article that discusses why group learning is so effective.
- Small Group Learning: Link to a document that explains why small group learning is not more popular with teachers.
- Group Learning Paper: Discusses the dynamics of group learning.
- Cooperative Learning: Provides information about the effectiveness of group learning.
- Listening to Lectures: Shows how to listen to lectures in ways that will help you retain information.
- Effective Listening Tips: Some tips on the best ways to listen to lectures.
- Active Listening: Discusses active listening and why it’s important.
Whether it’s just taking notes or taking a test, writing is one of the most important aspects of being a student. To be a good writer, there are lots of things you have to know. For instance, you have to understand how to use grammar and punctuation. You also have to know how to properly cite works, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to properly summarize.
- Essay-Writing Guide: A quick guide to essay writing.
- Advanced Essay Writing: Discusses advanced essay writing techniques.
- Academic Writing: Defines academic writing and how to do it properly.
- APA Formatting and Style Guide: Shows how to properly format for APA requirements.
- Scientific Report Writing: Looks at how to properly write a scientific report.
- Summarizing: Provides some useful tips for summarizing.
- Paraphrasing: Explains how to paraphrase instead of plagiarizing.
- Avoiding Plagiarism: Shows how to avoid plagiarism.
- Tips on Grammar, Punctuation, and Style: Outlines proper grammar and punctuation rules.
Many people find math to be one of the hardest subjects to learn. No matter how hard some people try, they have a hard time with math, but there’s really no secret formula in mastering math. The better math students have some effective learning strategies. Here are some specific ways to study math.
- Why Math is Important: Shows why math is important and how to learn it effectively.
- How to Study Mathematics: Discusses about the strategies for studying math.
- Studying for Math: A few suggestions about studying for math.
- Math Study Tips: Offers some tips on studying math.
- Math Study Skills: Outlines good math study skills.
- Math Test Taking Tips: Provides tips for taking a math test.